Higher Scientific Officer - Radiotherapy and Imaging
Under the leadership of our Chief Executive, Professor Paul Workman FRS, the ICR is ranked as the UK’s leading academic research centre. Together with our partner The Royal Marsden, we are rated in the top four cancer centres globally.
The ICR is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the best minds in the world to join us in our mission – to make the discoveries that defeat cancer.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed individual to join Dr Somaiah’s team at the ICR and Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton. The main duty of the post is to participate in the design and implementation of translational studies aimed at biological optimisation of radiotherapy by improving tumour response whilst minimising normal tissue toxicity. This would involve the use of laboratory techniques for the processing of patient samples, and a willingness to train for, and undertake trial related procedures.
The post-holder will also be involved with assisting in clinical trials undertaken in the breast RT unit. Excellent communication skills, administration abilities and computer skills would be vital, including working collaboratively with the existing team members both within and outside the institution.
- Preparation of translational research protocols including literature search, identification of suitable assessment tools, clinic room and laboratory space, as required.
- Identification of potentially suitable volunteers for research projects from hospital information system and clinic lists and explanation of research protocols to eligible patients.
- Collection of tissue samples from research volunteers with their written informed consent.
- Processing, storage and shipment of tissue samples as required by specific trial protocols.
- Maintenance of a ‘tissue bank’ of samples including a liquid nitrogen store and electronic records on FreezerPro.
- Manage specific research budgets in liaison with ICR Finance Dept.
- Initiate purchase of consumable items and minor equipment within budgetary limits.
Please refer to the job description for more information about this position.
To apply, please click on the apply button below.
This Program is closed to applications.