Senior Research Accountant
The Institute of Cancer Research (ICR) is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the best minds in the world to join us in our mission – to make the discoveries that defeat cancer.
We are recruiting a Senior Research Accountant to the Research Finance Team to support our research divisions and strategic partnerships in the management of external funds.
As part of a high functioning team, this financial partnering role will be the core communication point for all scientists within the supported divisions and will work directly with scientists and funders to provide expert advice in financial grant management and reporting.
The role will support the Finance Department to meet its internal and external (statutory) responsibilities including achieving value for money and ensuring financial sustainability across the activities of the institute.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To provide financial information and analysis to research teams on their grants, and proactively work with budget holders to assist them in the management and utilisation of their external funding.
- To provide and review grant applications costing. This will involve supporting research team leaders in ensuring that they meet ICR policies around research governance and overhead recovery.
- To undertake the regular review and reconciliation of external grant income and expenditure, taking proactive corrective action where required to ensure financial terms and conditions compliance.
- To maintain a comprehensive understanding of financial elements of funder Terms & Conditions and provide advice to assigned budget holders on compliance issues.
- To complete external funding body financial reports and returns in line with funder requirements.
- To ensure that grant income and expenditure budgets are loaded on timely basis for awards, in line with the specific award lifecycle, and any virements are processed in line with funder restrictions.
- Ongoing review and correction of grant income and expenditure actuals and accruals, including checking monthly financial statements prior to circulation to budget holders.
- To work with budget holders to ensure grant reporting meets their requirements and to work on the development of reporting if deemed necessary.
- To establishing and maintaining comprehensive grant records (electronic and where appropriate hard copy), including ensuring that adequate external grant records are maintained, and that correct grant, project and related post funding dates are correct on Agresso
- To ensure that the month end timetable is adhered to for all processes relevant to research grants within your areas of responsibility
- To assist the Financial Planning & Analysis team with forecasting in year and future grant income and expenditure.
Successful candidate will have
- At least part-qualified in CCAB qualification
- A significant interest in and commitment to accounting work within a scientific research environment
- Ability to communicate complex financial information to non finance staff
- Use of computer and accounting packages including Microsoft Office including intermediate / advanced excel
- Experience of process improvement, implementation of new procedures and development of financial analysis
- Ability to learn quickly
- Significant experience of management accounting in a research grant funding environment
- Qualified in CCAB qualification
- A recognised higher education degree
- Experience from a similar or equivalent role(s)
- A working knowledge of Agresso / Universal Business World
- Experience of the charity sector and/or the higher education sector, particularly UK University finances
Please read the job description for more details.
All applications should be submitted via the e-recruitment system, available by clicking on the 'Apply' button below. When applying, please complete the supporting statement section explaining how you meet the requirements for the role.
Interviews to be held between 30th September - 4th October.