Under the leadership of our Chief Executive, Professor Paul Workman FRS, the ICR is ranked as the UK’s leading academic research centre. Together with our partner The Royal Marsden, we are rated in the top four cancer centres globally.
The ICR is committed to attracting, developing and retaining the best minds in the world to join us in our mission – to make the discoveries that defeat cancer.
We are seeking a highly motivated SO to provide technical support to the in vivo research in the Patient Derived Models (PDM) team within the Breast Cancer Now Research Centre (BCNRC) directed by Professor Andrew Tutt. As part of the team, s/he will work under the supervision of Dr Rebecca Marlow (Liaison Staff Scientist), and alongside team members.
The PDM team has developed a large panel of in vivo patient-derived xenograft (PDX) experimental models of breast cancer, with the aim of identifying and characterising targets and associated biomarkers for breast cancer treatment. Dr Marlow also leads the 3D Facility with the PDM team. The 3D Facility carries out complex 3D organoid cell culture experiments. This post will provide material for the derivation and production of patient-derived organoid (PDO) cultures from in vivo models.
The objective of this post is to establish in vivo experimental models of breast cancer from patient material with the aim of identifying and characterising targets and associated biomarkers for breast cancer treatment. The post holder will contribute to the assessment of new therapeutic approaches. They will also be responsible for the establishment, treatment and validation of in vivo models of breast cancer, as well as general laboratory duties such as maintenance of stocks and database management.
- It is essential for the successful post-holder to hold a Personal Licence, or have undertaken Home Office Module A, B, & C training in order to fulfil its key objectives
- Perform research at the highest ethical standard, under the direction of Dr Marlow and Prof Lord.
- Assist in generation and maintenance of viably frozen tissue stocks for PDX breast cancer models.
- Assist in maintenance of tumour resources including tumour disaggregation, and generation of new samples for engraftment.
- Assessment of standard of care therapeutic response in breast cancer in vivo models
- Participate in research projects involving tumour model imaging (IVIS bioluminescence).
- Participate in research projects developing novel therapies for breast cancer and subsequently treating/dosing in vivo breast cancer models.
- Provide technical support for on-going in vivo laboratory projects e.g. histopathology, molecular biology, to validate PDX models.
- Provide excellent data management, data storage and record keeping in notebooks, files and computers, in line with ICR laboratory policy.
- On occasion work at Breast Cancer Now Unit at the Guy’s Hospital Campus of KCL on collaborative projects
- Liaise with the research colleagues, support staff and administrative team for the support of the research.
- Remain up to date with the relevant scientific, technical and methodological literature.
- Participate in and contribute to regular group meetings.
- Any other duties that are required which are consistent with the nature and grade of the post.
The appointment will be on a Fixed Term Contract for 3 years.The starting salary is expected to be £26,000. The full salary scale for the post is £26,000 to £33,600 p.a. Salary increase is determined by annual performance reviews.
Informal enquiries can be made via email to Dr Rebecca Marlow (email@example.com). Please note – these addresses are for enquiries only and you should not send your application to this email address.